Instructive Biomaterials and Additive Manufacturing Laboratory (IBAM-Lab)
NEW COURSE DEVELOPMENT
CHE 722 - Additive Manufacturing and Applications
Graduate level elective
Target Enrollment: 24 (limited)
Course Format: The course will consist of lecture and hands-on laboratory session with extensive interaction between students and the instructor.
Course Description: This course summarizes additive manufacturing technologies and current (and emerging) applications. Technologies including extrusion-based printing, droplet-based printing, powder-based printing, and vat photopolymerization printing will be discussed in detail with respect to printing parameters, printable materials, and end-product properties. Students will learn how to select the proper printing technology and materials for particular applications. This course will be composed of a lecture and a hands-on laboratory session, during which students will create 3D designs and print functional prototypes. Students will be challenged every week to develop innovative and functioning 3D printed components.
CHE 624 Transport Phenomena
CHE 626 Mathematical Methods in Chemical Engineering
Other equivalent courses can be acceptable for other engineering students with the permission of the instructor.
Student Learning Outcomes:
• Identify key 3D printing technologies, and corresponding major industry segments.
• Identify key material properties for 3D printability for each printing technique.
• Compare and differentiate printing methods and printable materials for specific
• Design a component or device to meet desired needs with realistic constrains for 3D printing
• Manufacture devices and tools using 3D printing
• Assess current and future applications of 3D printing
• Assess the 3D printing industry and the global effects of 3D printing particularly on engineering manufacturing
• Ability to communicate effectively through written reports and oral presentations
• Effectively present technical and engineering problems to a “lay audience”
• Ability to work as a team
• Ability to effectively use available data bases at NJIT for literature search
• Critical reading
All contents copyright © Murat Guvendiren. All rights reserved. (Last updated July 2021)